Sloan Museum and Longway Planetarium are seeking a Marketing Assistant to implement daily marketing operations, including social media management. In social media environments, this role is responsible for cultivating Sloan Museum and Longway Planetarium’s brand as thought leaders in space science and regional history, as destinations for family fun, and as premier resources for hands-on science and social studies field trips, outreach programs, and Girl Scout and Boy Scout programs.
- Distributes print marketing materials to over 100 locations in Flint and Genesee County on a monthly basis. Prints posters and flyers in-house.
- Ensures internal marketing pieces are up-to-date, including flyers and posters.
- Plans and executes social media strategies and campaigns, including both written and multimedia content development for Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Acts as social media manager and provides excellent customer service on all platforms.
- Creates monthly social media calendars and reports.
- Photographs educational programs and events and creates real-time social media content.
- Creates production orders for social media graphic design needs.
- Processes coupons and mail, and responds to visitors’ and organizations’ requests for information.
- Submits events to both internal and external online calendars.
- Communicates about Sloan Museum and Longway Planetarium exhibits, shows, and educational programs at resource fairs and outreach events.
- Assists with direct mailings.
- Proofreads all marketing materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 1-2 years of experience in marketing, communications, public relations, customer service, or education preferred. Knowledge of K-8 educational contexts, regional history, and/or science preferred.
- Must have excellent writing skills, including the ability to tailor messages for various audiences.
- Must be a savvy user of various social media platforms. Experience managing Facebook ads preferred.
- Excellent at follow through of tasks according to deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently, exercise sound judgement, and prioritize tasks.
- Attention to detail and accuracy, effective problem-solving and reasoning skills are essential.
- Manages time efficiently and effectively.
- Follows directions and communicates with Marketing Manager on a regular basis while completing tasks in a timely manner.
- Must be proficient in all MS Office programs, including Word and Excel.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional nights and weekends.
- Exceptional phone communication skills.
- Must have a valid drivers’ license.